Dec 28, 2008

Shilparamam

Shilparamam is an arts and crafts village in the heart of Hyderabad's Hi-tech City. That's really the name of the area, I'm serious :) It's called that because most software companies have their offices in this area.

Every December, an All-India Crafts Mela is organized here, where artists and craftsmen from several states of India put up stalls where they exhibit and sell their crafts. This year's exhibition is already on, and will continue till the 4th of January. I went twice already, and as usual, it's lovely! If you're planning to go, make sure you have at least two or three hours to spend there. It's a big exhibition, and to do justice, you'll need that much time. Also, be prepared to walk a lot. It's less crowded during the day, but it's very hot and you need to walk in the open while checking out the stalls. So you have to decide whether you prefer crowds or the heat :)

There are several permanent stalls in Shilparamam, that are open even when there is no exhibition going on. The exhibition happens once a year, and that's the best time to visit, but it's nice even at other times. Here are some pictures from my visits :)
Tanjavur/Tanjore Paintings:

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics, plenty of colors & indeed an interesting place, I guess worth visiting and also it looks like a good idea to go for a shopping spree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. super post,i love some of your pics.
    thank you for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Alok :) It's a very nice place, and i did go on a shopping spree :)

    Thank you, Megha :) I'm glad you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Great shots. Ok you covered everything it seems but think you missed the real-life sculptures of rural lives there. Beath-taking sculptures indeed. Visit Shilparamam again to view them. You would be pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sekhar, Thank you :) Yes, I did see those sculptures, but I dint take any pictures of them...I took a few pics of their houses :) You're right, they're really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing place - I would never be able to leave. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Madhu! I didnt know you blog, this is great!

    I love those handmade goodies, such beautiful artistry. I just want to buy them all. Great photographs. I must follow your blog.

    love
    -Tamanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey
    I am true Hyderabadi living away from home :(...
    Your pictures are refreshing my memory..thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to visit Shilparamam, unfortunately I wasnt able to. This time when I visit Hyd, I'll definitely. Thanks for posting such beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first time here, I am an addict of Shilparamam. Earlier I would go there 4-5 times in Dec as my office was right behind this place. Now I am in Bangalore & I schedule my trips to Hyderabad to coincide with This & Nampally exhibition for the lovely Lucknowis & Kashmiri stuff. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely pictures and write up !!! efforts like yours make so much sense !!!

    thanks for posting this !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:58 AM

    really simply superb images ,very cute

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shwetha7:00 PM

    Awesome pics madhu & I love your photography! What camera did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  14. please keep a suitable caption for your blog...then it looks very good...


    Hyderabad Classifieds

    ReplyDelete