Sep 11, 2010

Iqbal-ud-Daula Devdi

Eid Mubarak and Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to everyone celebrating!

I posted about a couple of devdis in Hyderabad - the Khursheed Jah Baradari and the Asman Jah Devdi. Completing the trio of Paigah devdis located in the vicinity of the Charminar, is the Iqbal-ud-Daula devdi. 

Nawab Vicar-ul-Umra, who was given the title Iqbal-ud-Daula, was the maternal grandson of Hyderabad's third Nizam. The palatial Iqbal-ud-daula devdi stretches along almost an entire street. Like the other two Paigah devdis nearby, it is built in a fusion of Oriental and European architectural styles. 

I'm sharing some images that I shot of the devdi, but I don't think they do justice to the beautiful devdi - it's way too big.
Stretching along an entire street
The entrance to the devdi
An inner courtyard
Besides a small school, the devdi is also home to several families
This is one building you have to see in person - I think it's one of Hyderabad's most beautiful structures.

12 comments:

  1. Nice pictures and devdi. what time of the day was it..looks very empty?
    ps i did a post on your blog, thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:48 AM

    No story here. Sorry! It did not click for me. Tell us a story about these buildings. Interview people living in the building. It would give a whole new perspective to your post and the blog.
    This to me is a showcase of your photography skills and nothing about Hyderabad history

    ReplyDelete
  3. H - it was early in the morning. And thanks a lot for the post :)

    Anonymous - I appreciate your feedback and will definitely try to incorporate your suggestions in my future posts. However, my primary interest is in photo-documenting Hyderabad, so my photos will always be the main focus of my blog. Also, please leave your real name while giving constructive criticism - I wont take it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures. A treat for a Hyderabadi...
    we use the word Diwan Devdi to talk about any large spacious place (part of Hyderabad slang! ) Good to see it finally! But sad that nothing of it remains except the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to stay right beside the Devdi. Now i am in Texas. Reminded me of the good olden days when i was a kid.Thanks for the photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that is so awesome! I cannot think of a cooler place to live in :)

      Delete
  6. hey madhu .... you really took some nice clips of this devdi. Would like to tell you that i still live here. This is my home. I am sure i can show u places inside this devdi what your lens couldn't capture. Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your generous offer Yaseen - that would be wonderful - is there an email address I can write to you at?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for some lovely picture, it reminds me of my golden days of being in Hyderabad, I use to play cricket at khurshidjah play ground woow i truly miss those lanes currently in Toronto and now i think this devdi is now occupied by illegal or land grabbers. further,the govt is not even taking any initiatives which shows bias policy to save this amazing master pieces in oldcity. keep up the good work..

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:53 AM

    thanks for info keep updating us

    ReplyDelete