Dec 8, 2010

Moazzam Jahi Market

Usually, my visits to the Moazzam Jahi Market have only one purpose - to feast on Famous Ice Creams' delicious fresh fruit ice creams, for which I have an insatiable appetite. However, a few weeks ago, I went there early in the morning, to shoot some pictures. The colourful shops around the market selling all sorts of things including ice creams, attars, spices, different kinds of tea and even furniture, were closed, but on the inside of the maze-like market, the day's activities had already begun.
The Moazzam Jahi market was built in 1935, during the reign of Mir Osman Ali Khan, the last Nizam of the state of Hyderabad, and named after his second son, Nawab Moazzam Jah Bahadur. The outer circumference of this stone and granite structure is triangular, and the facade that faces the main road is adorned with a clock tower with a high dome.

10 comments:

  1. This brought back a lot of memories; Famous' musk melon ice cream and chikku ice cream were the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your wonderful post felt like a fresh whiff of nostalgia. And lovely lovely photographs...
    I am a newcomer here and it so much feels like a kid in a candy store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ? - Thank you :) Yeah, chikku is awesome...but sitaphal is my favourite :)

    Aww thank you so much Suman!

    Thank you Jidhu Jose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Famous as well! Especially the sitaphal (and the mango). Thank you for writing about this little gem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you memoriesofchocolate :) Sitaphal is my fave too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb photography!! Found your blog through Cookie Jar, glad I did! Am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photographs, are beautiful. I grew up in this wonderful city and I miss it all the time. Some wonderful memories. Thanks for these pictures. They made me feel warm and nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Ambika, Deepa!

    ReplyDelete