Apr 16, 2013

Taj Falaknuma Palace - II

I was invited to spend a beautiful afternoon at the Taj Falaknuma Palace a couple of weeks ago, and I decided to share the tons of photos I took, in a series of posts. So here it is, the second installment of pictures from the Nizam's home :) (The first part is here)

The residential portion of the palace is spread across two floors. This grand marble staircase lined with marble statues holding candelabras on one side and oil paintings of the palace's illustrious guests on the other, leads to the rooms on the first floor.

The imposing marble staircase
The gorgeous billiards room. This table was made by Burroughes and Watts, London, identical to the one in the Buckingham Palace. 

Billiards table made by Burroughes and Watts
This is one of the palace's most famous rooms - the dining room with the world's largest dining table that can seat 101 people simultaneously! Each side can accomodate 50, with the Nizam at the head of the table.

World's longest dining table
This is the Jade Room. It houses the palace's priceless jade collection. With its hand-painted ceiling, Belgian cut-glass chandeliers and gorgeous antique furniture, it was easily one of my favorite rooms in the palace!

The palace historian waits patiently as I click photos endlessly.
The verandah adjoining the Jade Room offers a breathtaking view of Hyderabad.

Our very poetic guide said, "Poora sheher aapke kadmon par"
The grand Ball Room almost made me swoon - if I closed my eyes, I could almost see this room full of handsome noblemen and beautiful ladies!

The Ball Room
Going back downstairs, this is the lobby adjoining the library with shelves where stacks and stacks of records of the Nizam's dominions in English and Urdu are stored.

I sneaked in a self portrait :)
The lobby opens into a garden, at the end of which is the Gol Bungalow, where the hotel's two restaurants Adaa and Celeste are. Adaa specializes in traditional Hyderabadi cuisine and Celeste serves Italian and Mediterranean fare. On either side are the rooms and suites, of which there are 60.

The garden lined with jasmine bushes and frangipani trees.
This verandah in the Gol Bungalow offers yet another spectacular view of the city and is also used as a venue for qawwalis by local musicians in the evenings.

By this time, it was drizzling lightly and I could see why the palace is called Falaknuma ('mirror of the sky')
I will end this post right here, but I'm not done yet! I hope you aren't bored, because there is one last post in the series coming up very soon :)

4 comments:

  1. is this really in India? hard to believe... i wanna go here so bad now!

    I'd love an invite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:02 AM

    Wow and just wow...awesome pics Madhu...your pics always leave us asking for more:-) so please indulge us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place! :)

    I had heard about the beauty of Falaknama from a colleague of mine and his wife, who spent one of their anniversaries there. I put it on my must-visit-places list. Now, your post makes me want to just go there immediately! :)

    I loved the pic of the ballroom, too. Like you, I could imagine hundreds of noble couples doing a waltz there. A waltz, I don't know why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aadarsh Kadambi12:26 PM

    Well, as a fellow Hyderabadi I am genuinely pleased to have chanced upon this blog that you've so adroitly put together -- very nice! The photography is great --love the composition and framing of the subjects you've chosen..particularly the jade room..

    Makes me all oh-so-homesick now... :- /

    Keep bloggin'....

    Thanks



    ReplyDelete