Jun 28, 2013

For the first time on this blog...Secunderabad!

I've been writing this blog for so long, but I haven't talked about Secunderabad even once!  How terrible is that? I thought I *must* change that today, so I pulled out those forgotten photos from my hard disk, and decided to begin with 3 lovely churches in Secunderabad.

Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church, Bolarum
Secunderabad is now a part of Hyderabad and the two are often called twin cities, but they are almost as different as chalk and cheese. Named after Hyderabad's 3rd Nizam Sikandar Jah, it was born in 1806 as a British cantonment. It stayed under British rule until India became independent. With a sizeable Christian population, Secunderabad is known for its gorgeous British era buildings, convent schools and beautiful churches.

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
The land for this stunning Victorian Gothic church to be built on was donated by the Nizam of Hyderabad, and the funds for its construction came from Queen Victoria. It was built in Bolarum in 1847, for the officers of the British Army and local Christian families to pray in. 

Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church, Bolarum
ST. MARY'S CHURCH
Formerly the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Hyderabad, this Roman Catholic Church was built in 1850. In 1886, the official seat of the Bishop was moved to Hyderabad, so it stopped being a cathedral. The St. Ann's School convent and school are right next to this church.

St. Mary's Church
St. Mary's Church

WESLEY CHURCH
Located in front of the iconic clock tower of Secunderabad, this church was built in 1916. 

Wesley Church
Wesley Church
And this is Secunderabad's symbol, a 120-ft high clock tower built in 1896, to honour the progress made by the British officers stationed in the cantonment.

Secunderabad Clock Tower
Secunderabad Clock Tower
I'll most likely go back to Hyderabad in the next post, but I'm glad I made a beginning :)

5 comments:

  1. It's a nice part of the city. I didn't know this area. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the post Celine :)

      Delete
  2. cOMPLETELY NOSTALGIC. I love secunderabad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arif! Yeah, Sec'bad is cool - I have many nice memories of it too :)

      Delete
  3. your blog is inormative and ispirational

    ReplyDelete